Had lunch at St. Jude's Sweet Corn Festival in Cedar Rapids yesterday. It's basically a mini-carnival right there on the church grounds. It's amusing to me that it's actually rife with sin. The Seven Deadly, as a matter of fact:
- The festival crawling with scantily-clad girls: lust.
- That time when you think, "hey check out the hottie," and it turns out to be a dude: anger.
- The midway, complete with people trying to win the best possible prizes for as little money as possible: avarice.
- Even after seeing other people lose repeatedly, you still think you can beat the game: pride.
- In most cases, of course, you wind up with a choice between a blue-dyed rabbit's foot, a rubber pencil and a Def Leppard keychain from the shelf of shame: more anger.
- Hot dogs, chilli dogs, sloppy joes, pulled pork sandwiches, baked beans, cole slaw, pie a la mode, and three ears of corn (dipped in butter, natch) for a buck: gluttony.
- Seeing that the guy next to you got a bigger ear than you did: envy.
- Finally returning to the hotel and collapsing into a food coma: sloth.
It's not fund-raising -- it's entrapment!